Facial is a common term for skin care that everyone is aware of in the context of beauty treatment. Right from the beginning, use of natural ingredients to enhance skin care and rejuvenation has been practiced. Slowly, this process developed into a more relaxing experience for customers adopted by all beauty salons. However, the with the advancements of technology and skin care procedures, facials have gone beyond being a pampering experience. In the recent years, medical facials have become more popular, which alongside being a bit relaxing are meant to get to the root of your skin problems, treat them and improve your overall skin health.
What is medical facial?
Medical facial or medi-facial is a facial carried out under the guidance and supervision of a dermatologist. The ingredients are skin-friendly and the processes used are medically proved to deliver long-term benefits for skin health. Unlike salon facials, which may use bleaching techniques and superficial products, medi-facials use serums, hyaluronic acid, antioxidants, vitamins and hydroxy acids to give better and long lasting results. The use of medical aids like LED therapy, chemical masks, radiofrequency and ultrasonic allow these ingredients to penetrate deeply into the skin and have an immediate effect in restoring skin health.
Benefits of medi-facial
Medi-facial has numerable benefits because of the well-thought and effective use of non-invasive procedure to deliver agents.
- It makes your skin tighter and maintains moisturization
- It removes dead cells through exfoliation, leaving your skin soft and glowing
- It reduces ageing signs by preventing fine line development
- It improves your overall skin texture
- It has anti-inflammatory and anti-acne benefits reducing the frequency of acne breakouts
When should you get a medi-facial done?
Medical facials are recommended by dermatologists to treat several skin related concerns including ageing and fine lines, scars, sun damage, pore congestion, acne and dehydration. So, if you have developed an immediate skin concern, you should not delay your treatment. The best way to decide how often you should get a medi-facial done is to consult with your dermatologist. If you have an underlying problem, for instance acne, that you are seeking treatment for then you may be prescribed 4-6 sittings of the treatment procedure, anywhere between 15 days to 4 weeks apart. It all depends on your skin type and the severity of the problem. Even if you do not have a skin concern at the moment, you can consider taking a medi-facial once a month or every two months. It just maintains your skin health on a long-term basis.
Safety concerns and side-effects
The use of ultrasonic and radio frequency may raise your concerns about safety of medi-facial techniques. But these treatments are research based and completely safe to use. That is the reason why these treatments are available only through cosmetologists, dermatologists and certified professionals and practitioners. There are no apparent long term side effects. You may feel local tingling and redness after specific treatments that your aesthetician will inform you about. If you have existing sensitivities and allergies, you should inform about it prior to the procedure. You should also inform your aesthetician if you feel uneasiness of skin discomfort during a procedure. In many cases, you will be asked if you are wearing a dental implant or if you have a dental filling. Also, there are certain treatment procedures that are avoided in pregnancy so make sure your dermatologist knows if you are expecting.
Precautions after a medi-facial
- Usually, you will be informed to avoid sun exposure after the treatment. This is because your skin may develop a reaction on exposure to harsh sun rays immediately after the treatment. It may cause redness and a tingling or burning sensation.
- Apply sunscreen before stepping out in the sun, You must sure about it.
- Avoiding washing your face with a chemical face wash right after the treatment. In most cases, you will be informed to wash your face with plain water for a day after the treatment.
- Avoid application of any other chemical based products and creams right after the treatment.
- Make up should be avoided for at least a day after the treatment. You can consult your dermatologist about the kind of make-up you can apply.
Although the results of medi-facial are experienced immediately, to make the effect long lasting you may need to continue with the treatments over a longer period of time.
Dietician Arti Jain
MSc (Dietetics), PG Dip(Nutrition), Diabetic Educator (USA), International Certified Obesity Management (Australia), International Sports Nutrition ( California), Dip in Skin Aesthetics & Trichology